07/15/16: V 1.82 :
- bugfix: Crash when opening geometry paint modes in 3ds max 2017. Archive is only updated for 3ds max 2017, the other versions were not affected.
07/13/16: V 1.81 :
- bugfix: Adjust vertex colors: Fixed crashes in some 3ds max versions
07/11/16: V 1.8 :
- feature: Average vertices now works across multiple objects. Now it makes sense ;-)
- feature: Option to select double faces
- feature: Option to exclude hidden vertices from soft selection
- feature: Vertex color supports map channels
- feature: Vertex color has a filter option - the modifier can hold r, g, and/ or b channel, leaving the other channels intact!
- feature: Vertex color and vertex color adjust supports soft selection
- feature: Paint scatter can now clone node trees
- Info: support for 3ds max 2014 to 2017
01/11/13: V 1.7 :
- feature: Reworked the Fit Vertex Dialog. Several new projection options.
- feature: Considerably speeded up the Fit Vertex Dialog - now own ray collision routines are used instead of the 3ds max builtin functions
- feature: Due to the own ray routines, the 3ds max ray collision bug won't occur anymore
- feature: Random subobject selection improved - subobjects can now be selected in a sequence
- feature: "UnhAll" now always unhides both vertices and faces
- info: completely removed Pick Vertex Dialog, is now a part of Fit Vertex Dialog
- bugfix: edge loop could sometimes assert/crash
- bugfix: Fit Vertex Dialog: Fitting by vertex normal didn't work correctly under some conditions
- bugfix: Softselection dialog is now updated correctly when loading a selection
11/11/12: V 1.6 :
- feature: Vertices can be "fit" to another object; they are projected along their normal onto another object, to get the shape of the object
- feature: Pick and grab vertex now have larger amounts
- bugfix: Paint modes didn't display their result on brush strokes instantly
- bugfix: Slice plane and create face mode were not displayed in 3ds max 2013
- bugfix: Face selection was not displayed when "Lock stack" was used in 3ds max 2013
08/15/12: V 1.5 :
I am very sorry that there has been no support for 3ds max 2012 and 2013 for such a long time.
I had a very challenging job the last years and simply no time to support MeshAK.
To avoid further problems with MeshAK not working in new max versions, this MeshAK release contains a converter to convert MeshAK to Edit Mesh and vice versa.
- feature: When painting with "Paint Scatter", painted objects now have got better names (named like the source object, but with numbers behind)
- feature: Vertex Ticks can be switched on and off in Mesh AK in all subobject modes
- feature: Selections can be saved, loaded and merged
- feature: Vertex movements can be reset, grabbed from somewhere in the modifier stack or from another object with the same vertex count
- feature: Selected vertex positions can be averaged
- feature: Vertex collapse button added
- feature: Soft selections can be locked
- feature: uv coordinate mapping can have an increment
- Info: support for 3ds max 2011 to 2013
- Info: support for 3ds max 4.2 to 2009 has been discontinued.
There will be no new versions for these 3ds max versions. V1.43 for these max versions will be still downloadable.
Between 2006 and 2012
- Several recompiles for 3ds max 9 to 2010 32- and 64 bit
12/09/06: V 1.43 :
- bugfix: subobject center should be correct in any coordinate system
- feature: When getting selection from other subobject, the selection in polys and elements is expanded now
- feature: Planar x/y/z works with coordinate systems now
- feature: Paint Mat ID shows result directly now
12/31/05: V 1.42 :
- bugfix: fixed serious bug - object with Mesh AK applied could not be shift-dragged anymore
- workaround: "Use Pivot Point Center" and "Use Selection Center" of the coordinate center flyout are
exactly exchanged. This means, if "Use Pivot Point Center" is set (which is the default), Mesh AK treats this
as "Use Selection Center" and vice versa.
I've tried everything to fix the coord center flyout, but is simply impossible to tell max that we want
"Use selection center" (which is much more needed, as it is the default behaviour of Edit Mesh) as the default coordinate center for subobjects; the bug mentioned above
was a result of these tries. Sorry, but I've tried really everything to get this to work.
12/30/05: V 1.41 :
- feature: Paint modes now have got a "delay" spinner (see Delay)
- feature: Paint Scatter now has a "Normal Percent" spinner, describing how much the objects normal influences the painted normal.(see Normal%)
- feature: Paint Scatter can now apply a bend modifier to the created objects... thanks again for the help to Nils Schneider, the guy who knows what cross and dot product are good for 8-)
- feature: Paint Scatter can now auto-seed existing noise modifiers while painting.
- bugfix: Hopefully fixed the coord center flyout... should not be always in "pivot point center" anymore
12/28/05: V 1.4 :
- feature: new paint tool: Paint Scatter; paint objects onto other objects, with random scale and rotation
- feature: several new explode options: explode by angle, face, poly, element, smoothing group or material id (see "Exp" button in the selection panel and in the Smoothing Groups Rollout)
- change: removed explode button from uvface/uvpoly dialog; this is done now by the global explode button
- feature: normalize uv coordinates (put them into the range of 0-1, if possible)(see "Normalize UV" button)
- feature: normalize texture ID (see "Normalize ID" button)
- bugfix: max could crash, if a paint modifier was selected directly after starting max
3/11/05: V 1.3 :
- bugfix: max could crash on program end, if a file with activated
uvface/uvpoly mode was loaded
- bugfix: Extrude, Chamfer and Bevel now show values again during
- bugfix: the "weld selected" threshold spinner could not be
incremented/decremented via the arrow buttons because of a resource
- feature: Config is written faster
- feature: you may convert another subobject selection to the
current subobject selection now, if you click on the subobject buttons
with shift. Additionally, you can expand face or poly selections to
poly or element now.
- feature: optional retriangulation after slicing; no more
unwanted edge splits on invisible edges.
- feature: the slice plane may optionally be displayed solid now,
with adjustable opacity. This makes it much easier to see where you
slice in Iso/Perspective modes.
- feature: if a slice creates more verts at one place (eg. if
you slice twice at the same place), the unnecessary verts are welded
- feature: "use center flyout" of user toolbar now supported for subobjects
- feature: edges can now be "flipped", which means all polygons sharing verts with this edge
will be flipped. Very handy if you shift-drag edges, to create new faces. These faces have the
wrong normal direction in 50 % of all cases. Now you can flip these faces instantly, without changing
- feature: edge visibility by smoothing group
- feature: Create Verts and Faces, Unify Normals and Flip Command Mode have been reintegrated into the user interface. Many people wanted this.
- feature: complete map channel support integrated for uv face mapping/turning and uv correction.
Support may be switched on or off for each channel separately in the settings dialog.
- feature: New Check Button "LockStack" in Base Object Dialog. Checking this allows the Modifier
to be edited in all subobject modes, but the modifiers in the stack above always refer to the base object. This
is very useful if you want to edit MeshAK below some other modifiers, and don't want the modifiers above refer to subobjects
while you edit.
- feature: Added "Edit Normals" support in Max 6 or higher (normals are stored like in Edit Mesh of Max 6)
- info: Max 4 support soon will be discontinued. The reason for this is the upgrade to Visual C++ 7.1, which uses a different memory system. Max 5 offers a wrapper for this issue, but max 4 doesn't... sorry. This probably will be the last max 4 version.
12/31/03: V 1.21 :
12/27/03: V 1.2 :
- feature: new buttons for making planar in x/y/z direction
- feature: turn normals on/off and normal scale in options dialog
- feature: option to turn off the annoying "remove isolated verts?"
dialog in face deletes. If the dialog is switched off, isolated verts
are always deleted.
- feature: softselection shaded faces may be switched on and off
now in the softselection panel. This works only for >= max 5; in max
4.x this button is disabled.
- feature: extrude and chamfer have been re-integrated into the
edges dialog (many people wanted this)
- feature: Auto edge vis has been re-integrated into the edges
dialog. Instead of a space consuming implementation directly in the
rollup panel, a dialog was created for this. The "SelOpen" button was
removed for this; use the "Open" button of the selection dialog for
this, or "border vis", if you want to make the open edges visble.
- feature: paint cursor falloff may be edited now in a spline curve
editor. Cursor falloff curves may be set, edited, loaded and saved.
- feature: smoothing tool in sculpt
- bugfix: no more unwanted normals visible
- feature: noticeable performance enhancements in paint modes;
completely new collision code (uses an own collision tree now, instead
of the slow builtin IntersectRay()) and reworked mesh composing (much
quicker than the original MeshDelta.Compose())
- feature: UV mapping/turning/flipping reworked: new floater to set
the mapping coords, possibility to turn/flip locally
- feature: Attach list now finally works somewhat quicker and
without the ridiculous memory consumption of the original edit mesh
now. Still, it is slow, if you attach many objects of many different
materials (while "fit material IDs to material" is a bit slow but
useable, "fit materials to material ID's, is still unuseable slow - is
this option useful at all?). This might be improved in a future
version. At least it works and doesn't crash your 2 gigs of memory when
attaching 100 objects ;-)
10/8/03: V 1.11 :
- feature: "Loop" now selects also edges, which have only one
visible edge at the end.
- bugfix: Crashes when opening dialog in max 5.1 fixed (thanks to
Roger Fong and Vladimir Tkatchenko for the help)
9/21/03: V 1.1:
- feature: The greyed out
tool selection combo box is not shown anymore in standalone modifiers
- feature: Color
correction in target weld may now be switched off (new checkbox “Col”
besides the target weld button)
- feature: New spinner
for smoothing vertex colors in Adjust Vertex Colors dialog
- feature: New selection tools (ring, loop, x,y,z,shrink,
- feature: New help. Help available from within modifier.
Mailto-button and button for my homepage.
- feature: Settings dialog
- bugfix: In the target
weld uv and color corrections, the map vertices are now split prior to
welding. This prevents the mapping from being destroyed, if other verts
than the two vertices to weld share a map vertex with them. This is
seldom, but could occur nevertheless.
7/15/03: V 1.02:
- bugfix: The paint mat
id tool painted a mat id, which was one bigger than the one actually
entered in the spinner
- bugfix: The vertex
paint mode doesn't create big amounts of unnecessary map vertices
anymore, when "smoothing group borders" is checked.
- bugfix: Fixed the
shameless consuming of memory in the paint modes (due to the
inefficient undo system)
- bugfix: Seldom and
after a long time of working with MeshAK the wintab32.dll (tablet
driver) could refuse to work.
- bugfix: When undoing a
vertex paint stroke with subobject faces/polys/elements below, the
created borders on the selected faces could be corrupted, when painting
- bugfix: color vertices,
which share more than one geometry vertex, are split before painting.
Otherwise it could happen that you painted on one side of the mesh, and
another area was influenced too, because of shared color vertices
- bugfix: Vertex Paint
didn't recognize any subobject changes on the modifier stack below;
this is fixed now in Vertex Paint standalone mode. In the mesh AK paint
tool mode, previous subobject selections are not supported anymore.
Please use the standalone modifier for these purposes.
- feature: Adjust Vertex
Colors dialog (hue, saturation etc.) for verts, faces, polys and
- feature: you can pick the color at a point now with
ctrl in the vertex paint tool. With shift, you can still pick the
average color within the range of the paint brush.
6/6/03: V 1.01:
- bugfix: Ohoh, my bugfix had a bug
:-/. Assertions when setting vertex colors should not happen anymore.
- bugfix: seldom crashes when opening
the Mesh AK dialog fixed
- bugfix: some problems with spinners
(weird input behaviour/slowness) fixed
- bugfix: if a vertex was exactly on
the geometrical middle of a poly, the map mode didn't work correctly
- workaround for max bug: The vertex
colors should now stay correct, if there are face deletes in the
current Mesh AK modifier; the reason was the same as with the destroyed
mapping bug of the original Edit Mesh modifier (see manual for
- workaround for max bug: There was
another bug in MapDelta, which leaded to destroyed vertex colors.
- feature: Improved VertexPaint, new
features see doc
- feature: the VertexPaint and Sculpt
modes are now available as "standalone" modifiers: "VertPaint" and
- feature: "Ignore Backfaces" is now
checkable for the paint modes. Still, the collision works only on
non-backfaced faces (which is a restriction of the internally used
method IntersectRay()), but for the effect of the tools the "Ignore
Backfaces" switch is taken into account.
- feature: The rollup page for the
additional paint tool parameters is now always scrolled up when opening
and selecting a tool, so that it's directly visible without scrolling
- feature: the state of "Ignore backfaces" is now stored in the